Sunday, February 10, 2008

What a difference a week makes...

Well, I finished ONE of my 40 books for the year this afternoon. The Potluck Club-a novel by Linda Evans Shepherd and Eva Marie Everson. Great read, funny and sad with recipes to boot. Makes me wish for a potluck club of my own. My sister, Sara, has actully started a dinner club with some of her buddies from work. They are going to start next Wednesday so I will let you know how it goes. I think that would be fun. And, it would make me clean the dickens out of my house at least once a month. I can always use some inspiration!

My political "virtues and morals" have all been dumped with the withdrawl of Mitt Romney. I was really hoping for a brokered convention so that we might get a true(r) conservative for the Republican nominee but the "establishment" is getting behind McCain so...yuck. My husband says, "Why vote for the lesser of two evils." I would really like to have a smaller national government, less spending and less taxes for all. So, hopefully, voting AGAINST Hillary/Obama will get us closer to that end. November is a LLOONNGG way off!

Speaking of less spending, the other book that I have been reading is the Dave Ramsey book about getting out of debt and changing habits. I have put that book down for the moment. I got to the budget part and choked. I cannot do it. I would like to do it but, seeing how all of our oldest daughter's college tuition is coming out of nowhere at the moment, a budget seems a little far fetched. I am on a plan to be out of credit card debt by August. I am so hoping that comes to fruition. I cannot believe it is already February--UG!

Back to the 40 things to do this year...does anyone have any good books they have read lately? I love Christian Fiction and mysteries. I need to get my list back up to keep me focused. (Anything to help with focus is a plus!) I love that Steffany has set a goal to run a 1/2 marathon. I cannot see that in my future but, what an accomplishment. Maybe if she shares her story I will feel inspired (hint). Running hurts my legs, like the shin area. I would really like to have that as a life accomplishment though. Anyone for rock climbing?

Anyway, I hope that this finds you well and that you are able to find reasons to celebrate this week. It will only happen once so MAKE IT COUNT!

5 comments:

Incognito said...

You need to get the Yada Yada prayer group books...its a series of books, I have read the first 3 and have 4 and 5 on order-really good. I just met with our couples bible study last night, and someone suggested Sex God-it helps with discussing Sex with our kids. Here are 2 more. Do You Think I'm Beautiful, and Captivating-its the female version of Wild at Heart! So there you go sis...order them NOW and start crossing off your list! Can NOT wait to see you this weekend!

Anonymous said...

Hey Laura! Ok, two things...1) Read Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas. It's amazing, amazing, amazing. 2) Getting out of debt is the best feeling in the world. Lex and I did that in 2007 and it has been so rewarding to not owe anyone a dime (except monthly bills like food, electricity & gas). Granted we did not have the expenses y'all do, but we were able to pay off a school loan, both our cars and $8,000 in wedding expenses we owed a friend for. The credit card trick....don't have them! I think that's a good place to start. Once you pay them off you'll be addicted and want to pay everything off! We've studied Ramsey's envelope system....we don't do it b/c I hate cash, but we have lots of friends that use his envelope system and have been very successful with it. We are on a new budget this year. Lex takes care of it all but he's got an Excel spread sheet that he tracks everything in. Basically, we're living off his paychecks and putting mine in savings. This will only last until June when I stop working :) All to say-debt free is the way to be. God can work with His money better when it's not all tied up with something. It's amazing how we become a slave to the people we owe money to. I'm really excited for y'all and will be praying for discipline and strength!

steffany said...

Books:
I'm reading Red Letters right now.
A Long Way Gone is fabulous.

As far as running. I'm totally freaking out. I hate running. I always feel like I'm going to puke, my side starts splitting and the shin thing gets me too. I have no idea why that was on my list of things to do. Oh Well, I guess it's to show how big God is and He can help me overcome the marathon.

I'm with you though, I would love to rock climb.

Laura said...

Thanks you guys for your recommendations! Leah, you have given me hope to finish Dave's plan!
Hugs!

Carolyn said...

Dave's plan is awesome. The whole budget thing is a bit overwhelming at first just because with readily available credit why live a budget? It actually is very freeing once you get the hang of it. We are on baby step #2 and will be for a while due to not only credit card debt but student loans. We have been on his plan for about 8 months and are making a dent in our debt...plus we are actually able to tithe from the first fruits and tithe based on our gross. That's a great feeling especially with Kelley being a priest and teaching others about God's teachings. As God said in Proverbs, "the borrower is slave to the lender." It is a great feeling to be getting out of that bondage. I challenge you to pick up the book and start reading again. It has changed our life and definitely takes away alot of stress and has improved our relationship. God will bless you and your family beyond measure when you become a good steward of your money or rather His money that He has blest you with!!!