Monday, February 18, 2008

What is for dinner?

Tonight we had London Broil, Broccoli Salad and Couscous for dinner. Quite simple, considering we broiled the meat, ate salad from a bag and couscous from a box. My query is, is this normal? Am I doing my family a disservice with simplicity? Or, is this a good thing, because it did not consist of eating out or in a drive thru? I love to make a nice dinner. I hate cleaning up after myself. I love to hear my husband say, "Wow, honey, this is wonderful." I hate hearing my 6 year old say, "No. Way. I am not eating that! I want cereal. I want Peanut Butter." Do you make your child eat what is served? I am in awe at what my niece and nephew eat on a daily basis. Candace is like a gourmet cook compared to me. AND, they eat it! Amazing!

They were here this weekend and we had, what I consider, my favorite breakfast. Crepes with berries and buttermilk syrup. I probably would not have eaten this 5 years ago. Food holds too many hang ups for me. But, it is worth the effort and the wait. Spectacular, I mean it. Thanks to Candace and my little brother, Jay, our whole food intake has changed. For the better. They gave me confidence to try new things. Not to mention, she made many of the dinners so, having someone else cook for you is always a plus!

Just wondering what food means in your house? Do you have picky eaters? Kids that love it all? Recipe for crepes a la berries to follow:

Crepes: 3/4 cup flour
Pinch of salt
1 1/4 cup of milk
2 eggs
1 tbs melted butter

Mix well until smooth. Melt butter in skillet. Pour 2-3 tbsp in pan; quickly tilt pan in all directions so batter covers bottom. Use more batter if you are using a 10 inch skillet. Cook 1 minute until crepe can be loosened easily. Flip and cook another 30 seconds. Wrap with berries and cover with buttermilk syrup. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Buttermilk-Syrup/Detail.aspx Berries we use are blackberries, raspberries and blueberries.

PERFECT FOR SATURDAY OR SUNDAY. Saturday usually works better for us because we are always rushing for church. Hope you enjoy them!

5 comments:

Incognito said...

I can't believe that you posted the syrup recipe!!! GASP!

Thanks for the kuddos! You are a tremendous cook and mother. We had a fantastic time...I had the hardest time leaving-I wanted to stay another week!

Incognito said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
steffany said...

That looks awesome! Yummy.

Food around here is solely based on momma's mood. Some weeks I'm ultra prepared and know what I'm making all week. Other nights it might be cereal or peanut butter. I use my crockpot a lot. I mean a lot. Love it. To me it's not so much about what you cook but that you come together as a family. I would love to cook more stuff and try new recipes. But I have a feeling for the next few years my cooking strategy will be pure survival based. Next month I'll have 3 in diapers at home. So bring on the simple!

junglemama said...

Your dinner sounds simply delicious! Thanks for the crepe recipe.

Anonymous said...

Hey Laura! First off...I can't believe Ryan got accepted to MIzzou! He's a senior? Where else is he applying? I remember when he was so small! It seems like we were all just so young having Christmas Eve at Mimi&Papa's house! I miss that so much. New memories are just as sweet but sometimes it's still so hard to believe how we've all grown. It is crazy how life is truly a vapor and then we fly away!