Monday, April 14, 2008

Home...

What a week! I had an amazing time in Columbia, MO with my wonderful family. So nice that I can claim them as family. They are the neatest individuals and, as a whole, some of the neatest people I have ever known. Memories of the week include:

Lukas: "Bob, you are going the wrong way, Bob!" My first day in Columbia I took Lukas, Gedesa and my kids to Wal-mart. When I exclaimed that I had gone the wrong way, he said, "Mom, you're going the wrong way." I quickly commented that "I am not the momma!" My kids and present company thought that was funny and we decided that I would be called by Bob...the rest of the family adopted the name by the end of the week.

McKayley: Smiles and hugs when she realized I was there to help her, laughter and playfulness with my daughter, Alexandra, and wonderful willingness to help and complete her chores. I think I saw the greatest change in McKayley over the week. She and Alexandra had so much fun together. She and Lukas also celebrated their birthdays while we were there and I am so thankful that we got to share in their celebration. Favorite quote: "What was your name again?"

Jace: What a little man! I just want to hug him and give him lots of high fives! He is an amazing young man! He was incredibly encouraging with my son, David. Dave has some issues with food and Jace was wonderfully patient and encouraging. Jace was also willing to try new things without complaint and seemed so happy with each day. Favorite quote: "David, you just have to decide that you are not afraid, just tell yourself that it is going to be all right." It is always wonderful to have another child back you up. Our family has been telling David this for years but to hear it from Jace was huge in his little world. He is still telling himself that when he eats his dinner and has to eat something he doesn't like.

Faith: Little angel. "No, Jace, she is right, your school is right around the corner." and "I know where McKayley's book is, let me show you." She is so observant and helpful. On Tuesday I used my trusty GPS to get us to Jace's school. Not realizing it was just a couple of blocks away from the girl's school, I panicked when I saw the street to their place. I was baffled and thought that I had punched in the wrong address. I asked Jace if he knew where we were and he answered, " No, I have no idea!" As I was apologizing that I was going to make him late, Faith piped up in the back seat. Whoo!

Daizey and Deizel: I cannot express to you the joy I felt when Steff honked the horn to alert us of their arrival. I am so thankful that we were able to see them come home, so thankful that my kids got to meet them and love on them just a bit before we had to leave. I am looking forward to knowing them better and better. I see a great deal of spunk and determination in both of them. I am incredibly hopeful that they will continue to gain weight and be able to eat all of the calories that they have to every day.

Coming home has been a blessing. I saw my children subtly change over the last week. I felt myself change and have seen so many mundane tasks today with pleasure and a desire to fulfill even small needs has become joyful. My husband is the absolute best. I am so in love with him and so thankful for him. He is such a hard worker and loving man. He questioned my sanity when I told him what I thought needed to be done. But, all through the week, I could hear the love, compassion and joy in his heart as the news got better.

Thanks Bosters for allowing us to peek into your lives for a short time. I believe it has helped our family more than we ever thought possible. You guys rock!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean about everything. I love the quotes from the kids. I can hear them saying each thing and see their facial expressions in my mind as I imagine it. How funny! I'm glad you had an awesome week. Thank you again for going. It means so much to me personally and I know to them as well.

Love you!