Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The talk...

Okay, I have a nine year old daughter and I am wondering when it is the time to have the talk. I got a call from a friend of mine early last week and she stated that they were having the parent meeting for the school about "the talk." Unfortunately, she was shocked to hear of all the details and things that "the talk" now includes. So, we got to talking and wondering why, in the third grade, they need to have "the talk" now. I was putting it off and I received another phone call last night from another friend asking about bras and "the talk." I am not ready for this ladies! I know that she has to hear it from me. I know that we need to be forthright with our children. She is just so young. I have bought organic milk and chicken for as long as I can remember, hoping to postpone this event.

I did not get "the talk" from my mom or dad. I was given a set of books and I heard about my period from the nurse at school--all in the 6th grade. Now, I happened to have started my period in the summer before 6th grade so I already knew about the dreaded time of the month. But the 3rd grade.!@ All of the rest of the details, I got from a book. I don't want that for Alexandra. I don't want that for David, either. We have had frank discussions with our oldest kids but, their mother also talked with them. They were at least in the 6th grade.

I know that there may be some mothers out there that know about this and have had experience with it. I still call sex marital relations as often as possible to get that through my daughter's head. I want her to be aware that God really calls us to be pure until we are married. Am I risking her finding out from someone else? I don't know. She seems so little still. I really want her to have her childhood innocence as long as possible when it comes to this particular subject.

5 comments:

junglemama said...

Thanks for the neat comment on my blog. I have three ten year olds and a 12 year old and I have only begun to talk to them about period stuff. We haven't offically had the talk yet but I am sure it will be soon.

Incognito said...

This has been on my heart lately too...When do you start and how do you talk to the 'the right way'. BE HONEST above all. A friend suggested getting the book SEX GOD by Rob Bell-I bought it, haven't gone through it yet, but you might check it out before discussing anything in depth with Alexandra. If she does ask, don't avoid the conversation, just tell her the truth and ask her questions in return about what SHE thinks is about the whole deal.

Anonymous said...

In reply to Candace's comment...Rob Bell's book appears to be about sex, but it's really not at all. I read it last summer. It's a good book, but it's hard to pinpoint what it's about really...it's not sex, that's for sure. Candace...you'll see when you read it.

You should be so excited that you get to talk to her about all that stuff! How amazing that you want to and actually know God's truth on the matter. He'll give you words and wisdom & most importantly...timing!

Talking to you while I was at the airport really flying to MO really encouraged me. Thank you for that!

Leah

Christin said...

So have you done it? I'm just waiting and watching to see what you do...since I have all girls that are growing up fast.

And I agree...public schools jump into that whole arena way too fast, in my thinking.

Laura Lu said...

There is a great resource called PassPort to Purity. It is an interactive Biblical approach to this subject. I have not used it yet, but have it and will be very soon. It has come highly recommended to me. FamilyLife puts it out...you can find it on their website or on Amazon.

I agree that they don't need to learn about it so early. Our job as Godly parents is to protect their purity. You could talk with her school teacher and not have attend "the talk" at school but rather learn about it with you during that time. I know kids will be kids and there will be playground talk, but at least her first exposure will be with you from a Biblical perspective.