Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Kotex pad with wings...

It is amazing what a commercial can do for conversation with your children! I am thankful that David was not too interested. Alexandra, on the other hand, wanted to know what those "pads with wings" were for. I told her the brief answer. Those are for when a woman has her menstral cycle. What is that? was the reply. I explained that we could talk about it later. So, later, talk we did.

It was pretty easy. I told her about the egg, the uterus, the lining of the uterus, how the egg implants in the lining if it is fertilized, and how, if the egg is not fertilized, the lining sheds. She asked appropriate questions and concluded that the whole thing was "really wweeiirrdd!" She made some jokes about laying eggs and that was about it.

So incredibly glad that we did not have to get in to the whole thing about fertilization and how that actually occurs! Whew. Bullet dodged!

I have also been reading Cure for the Common Life by Max Lucado. My honey listened to the book on tape while traveling and I told him I would read it while he was gone so we could compare notes. Anyway, it talks about how many eggs each woman has 10 ^3000 (10 to the 3000th power) and how many sperm each man makes. Instead of talking about fertilization, we talked about how wonderfully and beautifully made she is. That God needed just that specific egg and sperm to make her and He knew just which one to pick. It was fantastic! The conversation closed with her smiling and us praying. God is so good. He knew I would need that...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh the crazy conversations that I have to look forward to! They'll be here before I know it, huh?

Anonymous said...

Those conversations are NEVER fun.